Personal Data Protection Is a Hot Topic in State Legislatures
The California State Legislature recently passed the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, the strictest data protection and consumer privacy law in the country. Healthcare companies that serve California residents will be subject to meeting these new compliance requirements by 2020.
As more data breaches are uncovered, expect more states to enact privacy protection laws. Key topics covered by new privacy requirements often include:
- Access to the data collected or stored about an individual
- Ability to delete information
- Right to know the source of information collected about a consumer and to whom it is shared or sold
- Option to opt in or out of data sharing
- Protection against discriminatory practices
Regardless of your industry or company size, now is the time to get ahead of regulatory changes by protecting the non-public data you have collected about your customers. Contact Ladlas Prince to review and update your data protection processes.